FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Lt. T. Albergo, 760-839-4901
On May 20, 2011 the Escondido Police Department and officers from the California Highway Patrol conducted a DUI Sobriety / Drivers License Checkpoint in the area of Lincoln Avenue and Fig Street. Following are the results of this event:
- 3,052 vehicles drove through the checkpoint.
- 1,509 vehicles were screened in primary.
- 55 vehicles were sent to secondary screening (drivers who could not produce a drivers license or who were suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs)
- 3 field sobriety tests were administered at the checkpoint.
- 4 total arrests were made during the event:
- 1 driver was arrested for DUI.
- 1 driver was arrested for DUI and possession of a controlled substance.
- 1 driver was determined to be unlicensed and in the country illegally. He had previous criminal arrests for drug possession and lewd acts with a child and was turned over to ICE.
- 1 driver was arrested for 4 outstanding suspensions on his license for DUI.
- 24 vehicles were impounded, 5 drivers had a suspended driver’s license and 18 drivers did not have a driver’s license.
- 5 drivers had no insurance.
- 37 total citations were issued during this event.
- Educational material was distributed regarding Sobriety Checkpoints.
- 4 child safety seats were properly installed for parents.
Funding for this operation is provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Drunk Driving: Over the Limit, Under Arrest – Report Drunk Drivers – Call 911