FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Lt. T. Albergo, 760-839-4901
On June 4, 2011, the Escondido Police Department conducted a DUI Sobriety/Driver's License Checkpoint in the area of Grand Avenue and Quince Street, near the old police station. Following are the results of this event:
- 1,976 vehicles drove through the checkpoint.
- 1,142 vehicles were screened in primary.
- 59 vehicles were sent to secondary screening (drivers who could not produce a driver's license or who were suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs).
- 4 field sobriety tests were administered at the checkpoint.
- 2 minors were cited for being in possession of alcohol.
- 1 driver was cited for being under 21 years of age with a measurable amount of alcohol in his system.
- 1 driver was cited for possession of marijuana.
- 26 vehicles were impounded, 7 drivers had a suspended driver’s license and 19 drivers did not have a driver’s license.
- 12 drivers had no insurance.
- 37 total citations were issued during this event.
- Educational material was distributed regarding the dangers of distracted driving.
- 4 child safety seats were properly installed for parents.
Funding for this operation is provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Drunk Driving: Over the Limit, Under Arrest – Report Drunk Drivers – Call 911