FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Lt. T. Albergo, 760-839-4901
On April 23, 2011, the Escondido Police Department conducted a DUI Sobriety / Driver's License Checkpoint in the area of Valley Parkway and Juniper Street. Following are the results of this event:
- 1,716 vehicles drove through the checkpoint.
- 940 vehicles were screened in primary.
- 72 vehicles were sent to secondary screening (drivers who could not produce a driver's license or who were suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs).
- 4 field sobriety tests were administered at the checkpoint.
- 6 total arrests were made during the event.
- 1 driver was arrested for DUI.
- 4 drivers were determined to be unlicensed and in the country illegally. Three had previous criminal arrests and were turned over to ICE. It was undetermined if the fourth driver had prior convictions, and he was released on a citation.
- 1 passenger in a vehicle was arrested for being drunk in public and was also in possession of a controlled substance. He was booked into the County Jail.
- 22 vehicles were impounded, 2 drivers had a suspended driver’s license and 22 drivers did not have a driver’s license.
- 7 drivers had no insurance.
- 24 total citations were issued during this event.
- Educational material was distributed regarding Sobriety Checkpoints.
Funding for this operation is provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Drunk Driving: Over the Limit, Under Arrest – Report Drunk Drivers – Call 911