FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Lt. T. Albergo, 760-839-4901
On April 8, 2011, the Escondido Police Department conducted a DUI Sobriety / Driver's License Checkpoint in the area of Centre City Parkway and Decatur. At about 9 PM, heavy rain caused the operation to change to a Sobriety Saturation Patrol.
- 959 vehicles drove through the checkpoint.
- 558 vehicles were screened in primary.
- 25 vehicles were sent to secondary screening (drivers who could not produce a drivers license or who were suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs)
- 2 field sobriety tests were administered at the checkpoint.
- 1 driver was arrested for being under the influence, and in possession of, a controlled substance.
- 1 person was driving through the area and turned himself in for an outstanding probation violation warrant.
- 9 vehicles were impounded, 5 drivers had a suspended driver’s license and 7 drivers did not have a driver’s license.
- 4 drivers had no insurance.
- 17 total citations were issued during this event.
- Educational material was distributed regarding Sobriety Checkpoints
During the Saturation Patrol, eleven traffic stops were made. One citation was issued. No other arrests or impounds were made.
Funding for this operation is provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Drunk Driving: Over the Limit, Under Arrest – Report Drunk Drivers – Call 911