FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Lt. Loarie, 760-839-4722
On May 3, 2011, the Escondido Police Department conducted two consecutive Traffic Safety Checkpoints in the city of Escondido: El Norte Pkwy/Kaile Ln and Broadway /Bahia Ln.
The combined total results for both Traffic Safety Checkpoints:
- 604 vehicles drove through the checkpoints
- 257 vehicles were screened in Primary
- 30 vehicles were sent to Secondary Screening
- 5 vehicles were impounded because the drivers did not have a license
- 9 drivers were cited for no insurance
- 16 citations issued (to include no license, no insurance, and mechanical violations)
During the Traffic Safety Checkpoint on El Norte Pkwy, officers observed two vehicles that had child safety seat restraints improperly used. In both cases, there were children in the cars. Officers were able to readjust the seatbelts so that the child safety seats were locked into a secure position on the seat. They also educated the drivers on how to check for proper tightness. These two drivers were not cited.
The Traffic Safety Checkpoints demonstrate the Escondido Police Department’s commitment to traffic safety-licensed drivers, using seatbelts and child restraint seats, while driving mechanically safe vehicles that also happen to be properly registered and insured.