FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE. CONTACT CAPTAIN MICHAEL J. LOARIE @ 760.839.4405
Prepared by Captain Loarie
The Escondido Police Department held its Annual Awards Ceremony on February 28th at Police Headquarters. This was an invitation-only event and began at 4:00 PM.
During the ceremony, over 20 different categories of awards and recognitions were presented to members of EPD, other law enforcement partners, and community members. There were over 50 different award recipients.
Acting Chief Moles opened the event welcoming the award recipients, their family, and their guests, “Every day I am proud to be your chief and every day you give me a reason to be proud because of the outstanding work that EPD continues to turn out”.
The following is a brief synopsis of the ceremony and the different categories of recognition:
- Community members were recognized for finding lost children, rescuing injured people from cars after collisions, and catching burglary suspects.
- Officers from San Diego County Probation were recognized for their work and partnerships with EPD to help identify and apprehend gang members.
- Various members of EPD were recognized for cases involving child exploitation, sex crimes, and hazardous material spills.
- Recognition of performance by EPD members as it relates to working with the EPD Explorer Post, local businesses, community outreach, and law enforcement networking/information sharing.
- Lifesaving citations and a medal were presented for officers and a citizen who prevented suicide, rendered critical aid for medical problems, and entered burning vehicles to save injured people.
- Exceptional Performance was recognized for relentless investigation of sex crimes and thwarting a burglary ring.
- Special Recognition for assisting with the radio communications for Escondido public safety
- All the American Legion awards (separate ceremony to be held on Saturday, March 9, 2013):
- Meritorious Award
- Medal of Merit
- Citizenship Award
- Auto theft Officer of the Year
- DUI and Under the Influence of Drug Officers of the Year
- Crime Stoppers “Enough is Enough” Award
- Blue Knight Award
- Scottish Rite Officer of the Year
- EPD “Of the Year” Awards
- Civilian Employee
- Reserve Officer
- Community Service Officer
- Police Officer
- Promotions of various areas of the EPD were celebrated
- Recognition for service of 5, 10, 15, 25, and 35 years
Additional details for the above categories are available to the media upon request.
To report any suspicious activities in your neighborhood, you may contact the Police Department directly, or you may make an unidentified call on our Anonymous Tip Line at 760-743-TIPS (8477) or via our Web site at police.escondido.org. For breaking news releases, please follow the Escondido Police Department on Twitter at twitter.com/escondidopolice.