FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Lt. T. Albergo; 760-839-4901
On February 22, 2013 the Escondido Police Department conducted a DUI Sobriety / Drivers License Checkpoint in the area of Centre City Parkway and Decatur. Officers were also assigned to roving DUI patrol in the City until 3 AM.
Under a new state law, drivers whose ONLY offense was being UNLICENSED to drive were given the opportunity to locate the registered owner of the vehicle to either take or assign possession of the vehicle to a licensed driver. Two vehicles were released to the owner or a designated driver. During the checkpoint, twelve vehicles were impounded.
Results of the roving DUI patrol are not included.
Following are other results from this event:
- 996 vehicles drove through the checkpoint.
- 572 vehicles were screened in primary.
- 1 FST was conducted, and 1 driver was arrested for DUI.
- 46 vehicles were sent to secondary screening (drivers who could not produce a drivers license or who were suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs)
- 25 total citations were issued during the checkpoint. (8 for suspended license and 10 for unlicensed driver, 7 for no insurance.)
- Educational material was distributed regarding the costs associated with a DUI arrest.
Funding for this operation is provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Drunk Driving: Over the Limit, Under Arrest – Report Drunk Drivers – Call 911