FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Lt. T. Albergo; 760-839-4901
On September 6, 2013 the Escondido Police Department conducted a DUI Sobriety / Driver’s License Checkpoint in the area of Beven Drive and Valley Pkwy, near Dog Park.
Under a new state law, drivers whose ONLY offense was being UNLICENSED to drive were given the opportunity to locate the registered owner of the vehicle to either take or assign possession of the vehicle to a licensed driver. Seven vehicles were released to the owner or a designated driver. During the checkpoint, three vehicles were impounded.
Following are other results from this event:
- 2063 vehicles drove through the checkpoint.
- 1032 vehicles were screened in primary.
- 1FST was conducted, resulting in 1 DUI arrest.
- 34 vehicles were sent to secondary screening (drivers who could not produce a driver’s license or who were suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs)
- 13 total citations were issued during the checkpoint. (3 for suspended license and 11 for unlicensed driver, 4 for no insurance.)
- Educational material was distributed regarding DUI problems.