FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Lt. J. Murphy
DATE: 02/23/2014 PHONE: (760) 839-4901
Sobriety Enforcement Results
On February 22nd, 2014 the Escondido Police Department conducted a DUI Sobriety / Driver’s License Checkpoint in the area of Centre City Pkwy / Decatur Way.
Under a new state law, drivers whose ONLY offense was being UNLICENSED to drive were given the opportunity to locate the registered owner of the vehicle to either take or assign possession of the vehicle to a licensed driver. 11 vehicles were released to the owner or a designated driver. During the checkpoint, 7 vehicles were impounded.
Following are other results from this event:
- 1332vehicles drove through the checkpoint.
- 783vehicles were screened in primary.
- 3 FST’s were conducted, resulting in 3 DUI arrests
- 47 vehicles were sent to secondary screening (drivers who could not produce a driver’s license or who were suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs)
- 19 totalcitations were issued during the checkpoint. (3 for suspended license and 14 for unlicensed driver.)
- 1 driver was arrested for felony possession of a controlled substance
- Educational material was distributed regarding DUI problems.
Funding for this operation is provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Lt. Justin Murphy