The Escondido Police Department wishes you a happy Memorial Day weekend. Please take time to honor and remember our fallen service members. Celebrate responsibly and help keep our community safe this holiday weekend.
- Lock your vehicle.
- Do not leave items of value in your vehicle (especially cell phones, GPS devices, laptops, iPods and money).
- Use ATMs during the day rather than at night.
- Avoid carrying large sums of cash.
- Always carry a form of ID on you, even when running and jogging.
- Walk in groups; avoid walking alone, especially at night.
- Leave lights on and lock doors and windows when you leave your house.
- Do not drink and drive.
- Always wear your seatbelt and be sure that all passengers wear seatbelts.
- Focus while driving, do not become distracted by using a cell phone.
- Drive only while well rested, tired driving is very dangerous.
- Be sure that your vehicle is in good working condition and all windows and mirrors are clean.
- Keep plenty of fuel in your vehicle.
- Maintain proper tire pressure for your specific vehicle.
- Never leave a child alone near a swimming pool, spa, or any other body of water.
- Do not rely on swimming lessons, life preservers or other equipment to protect your child.
- Teach children to enter the water feet first.
- Treat diving boards with respect; water depth should always be checked before diving into an in-ground pool.
- Be sure that pools have a fence and that all gates are safely secured.
- Keep a cell phone handy while near the pool area.
- Children under the age of 14 should never be left unsupervised in the pool area.
- Do not rely on solar pool blankets to keep children from falling into the pool.
- Look in the water first if a child is missing.
- Never leave toys in the pool or spa area.
- CALL 9-1-1 in case of emergency. Give your name, location, phone number, what the emergency is, the condition of the victim(s), and what emergency procedures are in progress. If the victim is breathing, keep them calm and wait for emergency assistance. If the victim is not breathing, initiate CPR. If you don't know CPR, ask the emergency dispatcher for assistance.
Have a Safe Memorial Day Weekend!