FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Lt. Tom Albergo, 760.839.4901
On July 2, 2011 the Escondido Police Department conducted a DUI Sobriety / Drivers License Checkpoint in the area of Valley Parkway and Avenida del Diablo. Following are the results of this event:
- 1,776 vehicles drove through the checkpoint.
- 1,204 vehicles were screened in primary.
- 45 vehicles were sent to secondary screening (drivers who could not produce a drivers license or who were suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs)
- 4 field sobriety tests were administered during the checkpoint.
- 1 driver had no license and gave false information to the officer about his identity. He was determined to have been a prior deport by ICE and had a previous DUI conviction. He was turned over to ICE.
- 15 vehicles were impounded, 3 drivers had a suspended driver’s license and 17 drivers did not have a driver’s license.
- 5 drivers had no insurance.
- Ø 26 total citations were issued during this event.
- Educational material was distributed regarding traffic safety and sobriety enforcement.
- 4 child safety seats were properly installed for parents.
Funding for this operation is provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Drunk Driving: Over the Limit, Under Arrest – Report Drunk Drivers – Call 911