FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Lt. Chris Wynn, 760-839-4700
On September 2, 2011, the Escondido Police Department conducted a DUI Sobriety / Drivers License Checkpoint in the area of Ash Street and Oakhill Drive. This event was funded through the California Office of Traffic Safety, U.C. Berkeley’s School of Education and SafeTREC. The following are results of the event:
- 1,221 vehicles drove through the checkpoint.
- 778 vehicles were screened in primary.
- 40 vehicles were sent to secondary screening (drivers who could not produce a drivers license or who were suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs)
- 5 field sobriety tests were administered.
- 1 person was arrested who was wanted from a previous crime case.
- 1 person was arrested for possession of a controlled substance, false identification and parole violation.
- 19 vehicles were impounded, 6 drivers had a suspended driver’s license and 9 drivers did not have a drivers license. 4 drivers had no insurance. One of the unlicensed drivers could not identify themselves and was taken to the Escondido Police Department for identification.
- 29 citations were issued during this event.
- 2 child restraint seats were correctly reinstalled free of charge.
Funding for this operation is provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Drunk Driving: Over the Limit, Under Arrest – Report Drunk Drivers – Call 911