FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Lt. T. Albergo, 760-839-4901
On August 10, 2012 the Escondido Police Department conducted a DUI Sobriety / Drivers License Checkpoint in the area of Centre City Parkway and Decatur. Officers were also assigned to roving DUI patrol in the City until 3 AM.
Under a new state law, drivers whose ONLY offense was being UNLICENSED to drive were given the opportunity to locate the registered owner of the vehicle to either take or assign possession of the vehicle to a licensed driver. 7 vehicles were released to the owner or a designated driver.
Following are other results from this event:
- 1484 vehicles drove through the checkpoint.
- 803 vehicles were screened in primary.
- 31 vehicles were sent to secondary screening (drivers who could not produce a drivers license or who were suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs)
- 2 field sobriety tests were administered at the checkpoint, and a total of 2 DUI arrests were made.
- 2 other DUI arrests were made in the nearby area. One of those was at a collision and the driver was DUI.
- 8 drivers had no insurance.
- 4 vehicles were impounded at the checkpoint.
- 15 totalcitations were issued during the checkpoint (including 3 for suspended license and 10 for unlicensed driver.)
- Educational material was distributed.
Funding for this operation is provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Drunk Driving: Over the Limit, Under Arrest – Report Drunk Drivers – Call 911