FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Lt. Albergo, 760.839.4901
On September 22, 2012 the Escondido Police Department conducted a DUI Sobriety / Drivers License Checkpoint in the area of Juniper St. and Valley Parkway. Officers were also assigned to roving DUI patrol in the City until 3 AM.
Under a new state law, drivers whose ONLY offense was being UNLICENSED to drive were given the opportunity to locate the registered owner of the vehicle to either take or assign possession of the vehicle to a licensed driver. Thirteen vehicles were released to the owner or a designated driver. During the checkpoint, nine vehicles were impounded.
Results of the roving DUI patrol are not included.
Following are other results from this event:
- 1582 vehicles drove through the checkpoint.
- 853 vehicles were screened in primary.
- 2 FST’s were conducted, and 1 driver was arrested for DUI.
- 43 vehicles were sent to secondary screening (drivers who could not produce a drivers license or who were suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs)
- 24 totalcitations were issued during the checkpoint. (7 for suspended license and 18 for unlicensed driver, 6 for no insurance.)
- Educational material was distributed regarding the improvements made in traffic safety.
- 2 child restraint seats were correctly reinstalled for no charge.
Funding for this operation is provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Drunk Driving: Over the Limit, Under Arrest – Report Drunk Drivers – Call 911