FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT : Lt. Albergo, 760-839-4901
On April 20, 2013 the Escondido Police Department conducted a DUI Sobriety / Driver’s License Checkpoint in the area of Lincoln Avenue and Fig Street.
Under a new state law, drivers whose ONLY offense was being UNLICENSED to drive were given the opportunity to locate the registered owner of the vehicle to either take or assign possession of the vehicle to a licensed driver. Twenty eight vehicles were released to the owner or a designated driver. During the checkpoint, nine vehicles were impounded.
Following are other results from this event:
- 2666 vehicles drove through the checkpoint.
- 942 vehicles were screened in primary.
- 5 FST’s were conducted, and 4 drivers were arrested for DUI.
- 72 vehicles were sent to secondary screening (drivers who could not produce a driver’s license or who were suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs)
- 37 total citations were issued during the checkpoint. (5 for suspended license and 32 for unlicensed driver, 6 for no insurance.)
- Educational material was distributed regarding the costs associated with a DUI arrest.
Funding for this operation is provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Drunk Driving: Over the Limit, Under Arrest – Report Drunk Drivers – Call 911