FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
CONTACT: Lt. T. Albergo, 760-839-4901
On April 7, 2012 the Escondido Police Department conducted a DUI Sobriety / Drivers License Checkpoint in the area of Centre City Parkway and 13th Street. Officers were also assigned to roving DUI patrol in the City until 3 AM.
Under a new state law, drivers whose ONLY offense was being UNLICENSED to drive were given the opportunity to locate the registered owner of the vehicle to either take or assign possession of the vehicle to a licensed driver. 9 vehicles were released to the owner or a designated driver. During the checkpoint, 7 vehicles were impounded; 5 because the drivers had SUSPENDED or REVOKED licenses, and 2 because the driver was arrested.
Results of the roving DUI patrol are not included.
Following are other results from this event:
- 1402 vehicles drove through the checkpoint.
- 1006 vehicles were screened in primary.
- 63 vehicles were sent to secondary screening (drivers who could not produce a drivers license or who were suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs)
- 7 field sobriety tests were administered during the evening, and 2 DUI arrests were made.
- 7 vehicles were impounded.
- 5 drivers had no insurance.
- 17 total citations were issued during the checkpoint. (5 for suspended license and 10 for unlicensed driver.)
- Educational material was distributed regarding the improvements made in traffic safety.
- 2 child safety seats were correctly reinstalled for parents.
Funding for this operation is provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Drunk Driving: Over the Limit, Under Arrest – Report Drunk Drivers – Call 911