FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Lt. T. Albergo, 760-839-4901
On June 15, 2012 the Escondido Police Department conducted a DUI Sobriety / Drivers License Checkpoint in the area of North Centre City Parkway and Decatur Street. Officers were also assigned to roving DUI patrol in the City until 3 AM.
Under a new state law, drivers whose ONLY offense was being UNLICENSED to drive were given the opportunity to locate the registered owner of the vehicle to either take or assign possession of the vehicle to a licensed driver. 11 vehicles were released to the owner or a designated driver. During the checkpoint, 11 vehicles were impounded.
Results of the roving DUI patrol are not included.
Following are other results from this event:
- 1693 vehicles drove through the checkpoint.
- 823 vehicles were screened in primary.
- 59 vehicles were sent to secondary screening (drivers who could not produce a drivers license or who were suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs)
- 6 field sobriety tests were administered during the evening.
- 5 DUI arrests were made. One of those drivers had a suspended license for three previous DUI arrests, one of which was involving a felony injury case. He was on DUI probation.
- 1 driver was arrested for a DUI warrant and for driving with a suspended license.
- 1 driver had no insurance.
- 24 totalcitations were issued during the checkpoint. (8 for suspended license and 11 for unlicensed driver.)
- Educational material was distributed regarding the improvements made in traffic safety.
- 2 child restraint seats were correctly reinstalled for no charge.
Funding for this operation is provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Drunk Driving: Over the Limit, Under Arrest – Report Drunk Drivers – Call 911