FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Lt. T. Albergo; 760-839-4901
On August 9, 2013 the Escondido Police Department conducted a DUI Sobriety / Driver’s License Checkpoint in the area of Ash St. and El Norte Pkwy.
Under a new state law, drivers whose ONLY offense was being UNLICENSED to drive were given the opportunity to locate the registered owner of the vehicle to either take or assign possession of the vehicle to a licensed driver. Six vehicles were released to the owner or a designated driver. During the checkpoint, seven vehicles were impounded.
Following are other results from this event:
- 2,337vehicles drove through the checkpoint.
- 1,041vehicles were screened in primary.
- 1FST was conducted, there was 1 DUI arrest.
- 38 vehicles were sent to secondary screening (drivers who could not produce a driver’s license or who were suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs)
- 16 total citations were issued during the checkpoint. (4 for suspended license and 10 for unlicensed driver, 4 for no insurance.)
- Educational material was distributed regarding DUI problems.
Funding for this operation is provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Drunk Driving: Over the Limit, Under Arrest – Report Drunk Drivers – Call 911