FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Lt. J. Murphy
DATE: 9/22/2013 PHONE: (760) 839-4767
Sobriety Enforcement Results
On September 21, 2013 the Escondido Police Department conducted a DUI Sobriety / Driver’s License Checkpoint in the area of Centre City Parkway and Decatur.
Under a new state law, drivers whose ONLY offense was being UNLICENSED to drive were given the opportunity to locate the registered owner of the vehicle to either take or assign possession of the vehicle to a licensed driver. 10 vehicles were released to the owner or a designated driver. During the checkpoint, 9 vehicles were impounded.
Following are other results from this event:
- 1368 vehicles drove through the checkpoint.
- 721 vehicles were screened in primary.
- 2 FST’s were conducted, resulting in 2 DUI arrests (one of the arrested persons was on DUI probation and had a Domestic Violence warrant)
- 44 vehicles were sent to secondary screening (drivers who could not produce a driver’s license or who were suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs)
- 23 total citations were issued during the checkpoint. (2 for suspended license and 15 for unlicensed driver, 8 for no insurance.)
- 1 juvenile cited for possession of marijuana
- Educational material was distributed regarding DUI problems.
Funding for this operation is provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Lt. Justin Murphy