Thank you for your interest in the Escondido Police Department Explorer Post. Here are a few basic requirements of the program.
- Applicants must be between 16 and 19 years of age. Applicants under the age of 18 must have consent from a parent or legal guardian.
- Members of the Explorer Post are volunteers and receive no financial compensation for services.
- Applicants must be enrolled in and attending high school or college-level courses with a grade point average of 2.5 on a 4-point scale.
- Explorers must maintain a 2.5 grade point average.
- All applicants must submit to a background investigation. Indications of drug or alcohol use or prior arrests may disqualify an applicant. Indications of current drug or alcohol use or any felony convictions will disqualify an applicant.
- Once accepted into the program, Escondido Police Explorers are required to attend two meetings, one special event, and one patrol ride-along per month. This is a total of approximately 20–25 hours per month of volunteer work.
- Explorers must be able to arrange for transportation to and from the Police Department for meetings, ride-alongs, and special events.