Thank you for your interest in the Escondido Police Department Explorer Post. Here are a few basic requirements of the program.
- Applicants must be between 16 and 19 years of age. Applicants under the age of 18 must have consent from a parent or legal guardian.
- Members of the Explorer Post are volunteers.
- Applicants must be enrolled in and attending high school or college-level courses.
- Applicants must maintain a 2.5 grade point average.
- All applicants must submit to a background investigation. Indications of drug or alcohol use or prior arrests may disqualify an applicant.
Indications of current drug or alcohol use or any felony convictions will disqualify an applicant.
- All applicants who are accepted into the program will be expected to attend a one week live-in Academy at UC-San Diego during July/August
- Once accepted into the program, Escondido Police Explorers are required to attend two meetings, special events and community outreach events, and one patrol ride
along per month. This is a total of approximately 30 hours per month of volunteer work. Meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Monday of each month and attendance is mandatory.
- Explorers are given a first-hand look at the law enforcement career field. Explorers receive hands on training on subjects such as: traffic control, enforcement
stops, interviewing witnesses, and conducting investigations into serious crimes. Explorers also participate in special events such as assisting at Sobriety Checkpoints, traffic control at special events including parades and street fairs, and various events
interacting with the community of Escondido. During monthly ride-a-longs, Explorers use the police radio, assist with paper work and directly participate in most calls for service.
- For young men and women interested in the field of law enforcement or criminal justice in general the Escondido Explorer Post offers a realistic view of what the job is all about.