FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: LT. T. Albergo, 760-839-4901
On August 24, 2012 the Escondido Police Department conducted a DUI Sobriety / Drivers License Checkpoint in the area of Grand Ave. and Spruce Street. Officers were also assigned to roving DUI patrol in the City until 3 AM.
Under a new state law, drivers whose ONLY offense was being UNLICENSED to drive were given the opportunity to locate the registered owner of the vehicle to either take or assign possession of the vehicle to a licensed driver. 21 vehicles were released to the owner or a designated driver.
Following are other results from this event. Results of the roving patrol are not included.
- 2690 vehicles drove through the checkpoint.
- 993 vehicles were screened in primary.
- 69 vehicles were sent to secondary screening (drivers who could not produce a drivers license or who were suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs)
- 3 field sobriety tests were administered at the checkpoint, and 1 DUI arrest were made.
- 1 person was arrested for an outstanding warrant.
- 3 juveniles were arrested in a stolen vehicle. They were also charged with violating terms of their gang probation.
- 7 drivers had no insurance.
- 11 vehicles were impounded at the checkpoint.
- 40 total citations were issued during the checkpoint (including 10 for suspended license and 25 for unlicensed driver.)
- Educational material was distributed.
Funding for this operation is provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Drunk Driving: Over the Limit, Under Arrest – Report Drunk Drivers – Call 911