FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Lt. T. Albergo, 760-839-4901
On August 13, 2011 the Escondido Police Department conducted a DUI Sobriety / Drivers License Checkpoint in the area of Valley Parkway and Juniper Street. Following are the results of this event:
- 1,343 vehicles drove through the checkpoint.
- 954 vehicles were screened in primary.
- 48 vehicles were sent to secondary screening (drivers who could not produce a drivers license or who were suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs)
- 4 field sobriety tests were administered during the checkpoint.
- 2 drivers were arrested for DUI. One was under the influence of a controlled substance and was also in possession of controlled substances.
- 18 vehicles were impounded, 1 driver had a suspended driver’s license and 19 drivers did not have a driver’s license.
- 4 drivers had no insurance.
- Ø 41 total citations were issued during this event.
- Ø 5 child safety seats were correctly reinstalled for parents.
- Educational material was distributed regarding traffic safety and sobriety enforcement.
- 10 citizens toured the operational areas to learn more about checkpoints.
Funding for this operation is provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Drunk Driving: Over the Limit, Under Arrest – Report Drunk Drivers – Call 911